Welcome to the Liveaboard Forum

We are a forum dedicated to Liveaboards worldwide to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of living aboard a boat. Whether you are currently a liveaboard or want to become one you find every thing you need at Life-Aboard.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Newbie looking for advice from experienced live-ons

Stop in and say hi! Let us know a little bit about you.

Topic author
harley23
Your Vessel Info: Im asking for advice what size to buy and live on. i wish to travel around the mediteranean over the next few years. so i need something big enough to be comfortable, and 25nm/hr not 16knots tops. budget is aprox 250,000 US Also best engine to get service! in MED, cumminds is a great engine but is volvo easier to get service?? dont want a pair of mangrenades--- or are they better now?? Need help with flag registry?? is a 40-50 ft good ?? as long as its diesel and direct drive, no outdrives! ive fixed too many hahah Thanks all, cheers hope i can buy you drinks at a marina soon, sincerely Dave.

Newbie looking for advice from experienced live-ons

Unread postby harley23 » Wed May 06, 2020 7:43 pm

:D :D Hi all, i am looking at buying a 35-60ft boat for cruising in the Med. north shore gibraltar to croatia. What size do you think is best for long distance, and living on? Ive had plenty of and have rebuilt many boats up to 28 ft. Now im out of my league of knowledge retiring and living in the med. Rather than cruising by motorcycle i think a boat big enough to be comfy on, but not too unreasonable in fuel costs while moving---also no idea of the VAT and other things for a canadian boat owner in europe--much to learn--- Please help. Cheers,from Dave

tex
Has Liked: 22 times
Been Liked: 215 times

Re: Newbie looking for advice from experienced live-ons

Unread postby tex » Wed May 20, 2020 3:10 pm

Welcome aboard, Harley. One of the wisest guys in the marine business once said “buy the smallest boat you can be comfortable on that is capable of the cruising you want to do”.

My suggestion would normally be to check out the marinas and get aboard every kind of boat within range of your budget, but with Covid-19 precautions wisely apparent, I would study Yachtworld.com “Advanced Search”. This will give you a good assortment of possible styles to view. The Advanced Search function shows a form where you can fill out the length, style, country of location, type of power, sailboat or powerboat, brand name (and so on) so you can view photos and read the spec’s of available vessels. After some on-line effort, it may be advisable to hire a buyer’s broker to safely get you aboard some examples you’d be interested in.

Are you leaning more toward sail or power? Got a budget?

Let us know what you’re thinking. Good luck.
When life is hard, eat marshmallows!

Return to “Introduce Yourself”