Welcome to the Liveaboard Forum

We are a forum dedicated to Liveaboards worldwide to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of living aboard a boat. Whether you are currently a liveaboard or want to become one you find every thing you need at Life-Aboard.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Covid Lockdown projects

ImageDiscuss boat maintenance and repair issues here.

Topic author
tex
Has Liked: 22 times
Been Liked: 215 times

Covid Lockdown projects

Unread postby tex » Wed Jun 10, 2020 10:20 pm

Seems like a perfectly good time to catch up on some of the projects I kept putting off because of “other things“, which seemed priority at the time. Tropical storm Cristobal left us with some ceiling damage, resulting from a new air conditioning installation. it seems they were neglectful in making the new system to the old ducting shroud. Unfortunately too late, I was able to seal the problem with a gallon of Flex Seal. Two days of scraping off the wet, bagging popcorn ceiling and it’s finally drying.

So, back to Boat projects! I pretty much finished all the teak sanding and sealing, and I am trying the same sealant on a few exterior pieces exposed to the sun. I don’t know what kind of mileage I’ll get out of this, but it can’t be much worse than the varnish, Cetol, and Polyurethane fails. There’s no gloss to it but the sealer celebrates the wood grain. Nobody’s going to go Wowie when they pass by the boat because of the marvelous finish on the woodwork, but my chalky paint job doesn’t disappoint!

Right now, I’m back to doing interior Teak, particularly the window frames in the pilot house. These are custom frames I had made to begin with, but when I reduce the size of the windows a couple years ago, I never got around to adding the teak wood on the frames to match the new windows. This isn’t as simple as I thought it would be. I knew matching the finish with new teak would be nearly impossible, but I figured I’d just celebrate the grain and color differences For a more contemporary look. It’s not looking that great.
Attachments
4645AC25-B4B6-40D8-AB35-F6C21B555AE3.jpeg
When life is hard, eat marshmallows!

scallywag
Has Liked: 27 times
Been Liked: 69 times

Re: Covid Lockdown projects

Unread postby scallywag » Wed Jun 17, 2020 10:47 am

Hurricanes and NE are brutal. Still moving to a higher home and repairing repairing floors in the beach home. Scallywag is next. :lol:

Return to “Maintenance and Repairs”